Saturday, March 17, 2007

My Commitment to Ruby/RoR

The Open Source Software development in Indonesia could be said very stimulating. Many Open Source communities were formed, including the Alumnus's community CICC Indonesia. I have begun to enter in the OSS world since 1998, and I began the OSS movement in the university where I teach in 1999. My students really were attracted by OSS, specially the programming. With the new expertise in Ruby programming and Ruby on Rail, in the near future I plan to continue holding several workshops in several cities to introduce Linux and Open Source Software to Small Business Enterprise to high school teachers and students. As a lecturer, I am eager to teach Ruby on Rail as a subject for Agile Approach for Web Application Framework. That will be an amazing subject for the students.
Also, I wonder if we are able to start a Ruby project together with these Ruby Class participants. This project will produce various tutorials, the example of the program, the video, etc. against Ruby and Ruby on Rail that will be available in various languages in Asia. With this project, it was expected to be able to be made also as the place to share knowledge and the experience towards the utilization of the programming language open source based in Asia (my hope!).
I was also preparing a book about the programming script in Linux that eventually will put Ruby as one chapter especially. I planned also to write Ruby on Rails book after the book one. With this book, I hoped could help to spread Ruby and Ruby on Rail in Indonesia.

No comments: